Saturday, March 7, 2015

"The Girls' Tapes" ... An Epilogue!

the entrance to The Rotation, Aachen, very early 80's indeed .... and no: I am not pictured here anywhere ...



Evening all,


due to the fact that this 'Girls' Tapes' - series seems to have struck a chord with quite many of you and also due to the fact that I seem to be an old romantic twerp who lives in the past, I spent a lot of time to get hold of all the songs from the tape which I considered to be the best one of the bulk: Iris' tape.


Anonymous was so kind to name the only song I couldn't identify myself (# 11), so thanks again for that, Anonymous (whoever you might be)!! Also earlier today I got hold of a vinyl copy of the only song I couldn't find in the wonderful world of the internet in a more or less legal fashion (# 2). Which means that the tape is now complete again, albeit in a sound quality which  - contrary to the old tape itself - doesn't make your ears bleed!


The tape, as I mentioned before, was given to me by Iris in 1989 and it derives, if memory serves correctly, from a DJ (or a bloke who was somewhat connected with a DJ) working in one of Aachen's best clubs in the early/mid Eighties, The Rotation. The Rotation easily was one of Aachen's three finest places to go back then, they always had brilliant music and loads of brilliant people came together there. Alas the club didn't last for all too long and when the owner changed, the whole venue went down to a real shabby place in the early 90's.


The tape is a DJ desk recording from one fine evening in the late 80's and I wish I were able to tell you that I was there on that specific night ... but that would be pure speculation, to be absolutely frank to you. It could well have been the case though. Nevertheless the below should give you a clue of the variety of excellent music that was played there, so do yourself a favour and grab it while you can.


Having been a DJ myself when I was young and still pretty as a picture, there are two or three songs I wouldn't have chosen to play personally, but then again I was never known to get people storming on the dancefloor all too easily. Perhaps I should have played more commonly known tunes more frequently, who knows? The women who ran the bar I worked in used to say to me quite often: 'Oh Dirk, can't you play at least sometimes something with a bit of recognition value?" But, nevertheless, I had my fans, although only a handful. And I digress, as usual ...


So, without further ado, here comes the mighty tape in all it's brilliance. And, for a change, it's not compiled by me, so (I'm sure you'll) enjoy:





















































Links are hidden in the above tracklist for each song. And because I love you so much and have time to kill this evening, I also just did one of my little mixes of all the songs, which you'll find here.


DMCA complaints to the usual address, please, nice comments about what a fabulous chap I am as well!


Take good care,


Dirk

6 comments:

Webbie - FootieAndMusic said...

Top tape Dirk !

Brian said...

Lots of labor, Dirk. You are good to us. And thanks to Iris too. I wonder if she has any idea of her legendary status.

Charity Chic said...

Good point Brian - I feel that The Iris Tape could go down in history alongside The Basement Tapes

TheRobster said...

What a fabulous chap you are Dirk.

Walter said...

I agree to the words said by the others. Excellent tape, Dirk

Scott said...

Great compilation tape Dirk, Iris certainly had good taste in music...