Monday, April 7, 2008

My Peel Tapes: Part 5


Hello my beauties,

first of all: thanks to the nice people who left comments. Please let me remind you that you're more than welcome to let me know about your requests for the tracks which I didn't link to (see further below). Again: they're worth listening to, I'd think ....

(23) John Cooper-Clarke - 'Suspended Sentence' (mp3). A legendary track from 1977, which I have on a very fine compilation called 'Martin: The Work Of Record Producer Martin Hannett', released on Factory in 1991. I always cared quite a lot for this 'poetry' stuff from people like John Cooper-Clarke, Ted Chippington and Attila The Stockbroker, although - due to my limited knowledge of the English language - it is not always terribly easy for me to understand exactly what they're going on about. Highly recommended stuff nevertheless!

[upon request:
Buzzcocks - 'Autonomy'
Johnny Thunders - 'Alone In A Crowd']


(24) Cassandra Complex - 'Moscow Idaho' (mp3). Believe it or not, I used to go out drinking at the time with the guys out of Cassandra Complex fairly frequently. Originally from Leeds, they lived in my hometown Aachen then for quite a while and I'll never forget Rodney Orpheus' pointing at me every fucking time when I entered the bar, shouting "Dirk Wears White Sox!!". Which I never (!) did, of course! A 12" on Rouska from 1985 ... then again: perhaps I looked a bit like Adam Ant back in those days? Who knows ....

[upon request:
Half Man Half Biscuit: '99% Of Gargoyles Look Like Bob Todd']


(25) There ain't that many LP's which are good throughout in it's entirety, you know, the ones where you can't find a single bad track after several hearings. The ones which you keep coming back to forever and forever. Most definetely The Feelies' 'Crazy Rhythms' is one of these albums. Released on Stiff Records back in 1980 and from it, very short into the point but wonderful: 'Fa Cè-La' (mp3).

[upon request:
New Order - 'Everything's Gone Green'
Standells - 'Sometimes Good Guys Don't Wear White'
A Witness - 'Lucky In London'
Wolfgang Press - 'Heart Of Stone']


(26) The Quads - 'There Must Be Thousands' (mp3). A very fine 7" on Big Bear Records from 1979. Use this when you're DJ-ing and I guarantee you that people will storm the dancefloor ... providing they have taste and have had a bit too much of alcohol ...

[upon request:
Talking Heads - 'Love Goes To A Building On Fire'
Half Man Half Biscuit - 'I Hate Nerys Hughes (From The Heart)'
Jesus & Mary Chain - 'You Trip Me Up']

(27) From the debut album by the mighty Half Man Half Biscuit (the toast of Birkenhead!!): 'Sealclubbing' (mp3). The album, 'Back In The D.H.S.S.' was released on Probe Plus Records from Liverpool in 1985 and posting this gives me the opportunity to draw your attention to this very useful site: a must for everyone who considers HMHB as being the best thing since sliced bread!

[upon request:
Minor Threat - 'Small Man, Big Mouth'
Jesus & Mary Chain - 'Some Candy Talking'
Wedding Present - 'Once More']

(28) I think this album rather might be a much sought after item and it could be quite valuable nowadays. Rightly so, because it's a stunning work and I still like to listen to it after all the years. From their 1982 LP 'The Greatest Hit (Money Mountain)' on Rough Trade Records, here's 'Hanging Man' by The Blue Orchids (mp3). Enjoy!

[upon request:
Go-Betweens - 'Spring Rain'
Front 242 - 'No Shuffle'
Wipers - 'Mystery']


Enough for today, pop-pickers. There's much more to come. Let me know about possible requests and I'll do the necessary.

Cheers,

Dirk




No comments: